Lot S521 – New Orleans, 2018 Auction
Lot S521 – 1928 HUPMOBILE COUPE
- Year: 1928
- Make: HUPMOBILE
- Status: NO RESERVE
- Mileage: N/A
- VIN: A114776
- Exterior: GRY
- Interior: N/A
- Transmission: N/A
- Cylinder: N/A
Walter Drake, Joseph Drake, John Baker and Edwin Denby.
Walter Drake was elected president and Bobby Hupp as vice president and general manager.
Emil Nelson, formerly of Oldsmobile and Packard, joined the company as chief engineer.
Charles Hastings, formerly of Oldsmobile, was assistant general manager.
In late 1909 Bobby's brother, Louis Gorham Hupp (November 13, 1872, Grand Rapids – December 10, 1961, Bloomfield Hills), left his job with the Michigan Central Railroad in Grand Rapids and joined the company.
Hupp Motors obtained sufficient cash deposits at the 1909 automobile show to begin manufacturing the Hupp 20.
The first cars were built in a small building at 345 Bellevue Avenue in Detroit, Michigan.
The company immediately outgrew this space and began construction of a factory a few blocks away at E.
Jefferson Avenue and Concord, next to the former Oldsmobile plant.
The company produced 500 vehicles by the end of the 1909 model year (the fall of 1909).
Production increased to more than 5,000 in the 1910 model year.
Henry Ford paid the Hupp 20 the ultimate compliment. "I recall looking at Bobby Hupp's roadster at the first show where it was exhibited and wondering whether we could ever build as good a small car for as little money."
1912 RCH runabout
While serving as vice president and general manager for Hupp Motors, Bobby Hupp formed the Hupp-Yeats Electric Car Company in 1910, and acquired a collection of supply companies to make parts for Hupmobile and other auto manufacturers.
Hupp's expansive business plans did not sit well with his investors and in August 1911, they bought him out.
Bobby Hupp immediately brought out the RCH motor car.
He also combined all of his business enterprises into Hupp Corporation.
Fearing confusion between the Hupmobile produced by Hupp Motors and the RCH and Hupp-Yeats produced by Hupp Corporation, Hupp Motors sued Hupp Corporation and the Hupp brothers to force them to change the Hupp Corporation name.
Hupp Motors was successful in the suit and in early 1912, Hupp Corporation changed its name to R.C.H.
When Bobby Hupp left Hupp Motors, he informed the company that his supplier companies would devote their full capacity to make parts for the RCH.
Facing the loss of manufactured parts from Hupp Corporation and increasing demand for the Hupmobile, Hupp Motors acquired seven acres for a new factory at Mt.
Elliott and Milwaukee.
It moved into the new plant in late April 1912.
Hupp Motors sold the Jefferson Avenue plant to the King Motor Car Company.
Carl Wickman, a car dealer in Hibbing, Minnesota, used an unsold 7-passenger model as the first vehicle for what became Greyhound. In 1913 Frank E.
Watts was hired as a designer.
Hupp Motor Car Company continued to grow after its founder left.
Hupp competed strongly against Ford and Chevrolet.
DuBois Young became company president in 1924, advancing from vice-president of manufacturing.
By 1928 sales had reached over 65,000 units.
To increase production and handle sales growth, Hupp purchased the Chandler-Cleveland Motors Corporation (Chandler Motor Car) for its manufacturing facilities.
Information found on the website is presented as advance information for the auction lot. Photos, materials for videos, descriptions and other information are provided by the consignor/seller and is deemed reliable, but Vicari Auction Company does not verify, warrant or guarantee this information. The lot and information presented at auction on the auction block supersedes any previous descriptions or information. Vicari Auction Company is not responsible for information that may be changed or updated prior to the auction. The decision to purchase should be based solely on the buyers personal inspection of the lot at the auction site prior to the auction.